UM/UIM Requirements and Options

Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) laws by state 1,2

Review this map and talk to your insurer about the requirements and options in your state for UM bodily injury (UMBI), UM property damage (UMPD) and UIM coverage.

UMBI & UMPD required: DC, SC, WV UMBI required: MA, MO, NC, NY, OR UMBI, UMPD & UIM required: MD, VA UMBI & UIM required: CT, IL, KS, ME, MN, ND, SD, VT, WI UM/UIM optional, UMPD availability may vary: All remaining states.

1 Car Insurance,, 2019. 2 Background on: Compulsory Auto/Uninsured Motorists, Insurance Information Institute, 2018.

Did you know about one in eight drivers in the U.S. does not have auto liability insurance?1 It’s worth noting that the five states with the most uninsured drivers – Florida, Mississippi, New Mexico, Michigan and Tennessee2 – do not require drivers to carry uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage. In contrast, the four states with the fewest uninsured drivers – Maine, New York, North Carolina and Vermont2 – all require UM or UM and UIM coverage.

Generally there are three types of uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage:

1. Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI) can help pay for medical bills incurred by you and your passengers if you’re in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. It may also provide coverage if you’re injured in a hit-and-run accident or struck by an uninsured driver as a pedestrian.3

2. Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) can help pay for damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver.3

3. Underinsured motorist (UIM) may help cover a financial gap if the at-fault driver doesn’t have adequate coverage to fully pay for your bills from bodily injury or vehicle damage.3

When you’re in an accident caused by a driver with either no auto insurance or not enough coverage, that can increase your financial burden. Carrying UM/UIM coverage as part of your auto insurance policy can help protect yourself against potential losses. But how much coverage do you need? Here’s a way to think through your options:

  • Does your state require uninsured motorist coverage (either bodily injury or property damage)? If not, can you opt for it?
  • Does your state require underinsured motorist coverage? If not, can you opt for it?
  • What are the minimum limits in your state for uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage? Should you opt for higher amounts?

Amica offers UM/UIM coverage with all auto policies as state laws permit. Check with your insurance provider to get a clear understanding of which UM/UIM coverages are required and what amount of coverage you need to help safeguard yourself, your passengers and your vehicle.

If you still have questions about which types of coverage you need, call an Amica representative at 833.513.3881/833.513.3882. We’ll explain your options to help you make the best decision for your best protection.