Model Behavior: A Look at Today's Rental Market
When you need a temporary set of wheels, there are many factors to consider.
Renting a car can be a happy occasion when you're on vacation, but it can also be an unfortunate necessity after a fender-bender.
Since size, safety and price are just as important as what your auto insurance policy covers, what's the popular choice?
Reasons for Renting (1)
- 45% For service/insurance replacement
- 34% For leisure
- 5% For business
- 6% Needing a supplementary vehicle
Most-rented vehicles in the U.S. (2)
- Chrysler Town & Country
- Ford Mustang (convertible)
- Hyundai Accent, Elantra, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tucson
- Mercedes C250
- Toyota Corolla
- Volkswagen Jetta
Safety first: The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety* ranks the safest rides on the road. For 2017, several frequently rented vehicles earned the "Top Safety Pick+" rating. (3)
- Hyundai Elantra & Santa Fe
- Mazda 3
- Nissan Altima & Rogue
- Suburu Legacy
- Toyota Corolla, RAV4 & Yaris
- Volkswagen Jetta
What else should I consider?
Size (Number of passengers who can fit comfortably, with luggage) (4)
- Subcompact = 1-2 adults
- Compact or Midsize = 2 adult + 2 children
- Standard or Full Size = 4 adults
Price (Baseline cost for one weekday rental) (5)
Auto Insurance Policy Perks: Rental Reimbursement Coverage
- This coverage helps pay for a rental car, assuming damage to your primary vehicle is covered under your policy.
- Most policies offer a minimum $20 per day and up to $600 total for reimbursement, but higher limits are recommended based on the type of vehicle you want to rent. (6)
Whether you're renting for business, pleasure or to replace a car in the shop, make sure you walk in with the knowledge to drive away in the vehicle that's best suited to your needs.
What Local Car Rental Customers Want, Auto Rental News, 2013.
Sixt Reveals Top 10 Most Rented Vehicles in US, Auto Rental News, 2013.
Current IIHS Top Safety Picks, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute, 2017.
How Much Does It Cost to Rent a Car?, Bankrate, 2017.
Kayak.com (A Division of The Priceline Group), June 21, 2017.
- Coverage may vary by state and policy.
The inclusion of non-Amica companies, products, services or statements herein (“Third Party Content”) is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by Amica Insurance. Policies, views, opinions or positions of Third Party Content expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the policies, views, opinions or positions of Amica Insurance. Amica Insurance makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy and reliability of Third Party Content.