Facts on Fender Benders
Even minor dents are an inconvenience, but there are ways to prevent them.
Surveying the impact of minor collisions
- The front bumper accounts for nearly a third of all accident damage, while the grille represents 20% (1)
- Rear-end collisions make up 33.4% of the total number of motor vehicle accidents in 2017. (2)
- A dinged bumper can cost $450 to $900 to fix, while repairing rear-end damage to the frame may be up to $10,000. (3)
- There were 2.1 million rear-end collisions in the United States in 2017. (2)
Right (or wrong) of way: How fender benders happen
- Stop and go: Vehicle is rear-ended at a stop or yield sign, or in slowing traffic
- Bumper cars: Vehicle backs into another in a parking lot
- Tight space: Vehicle clips another parked in the next spot
- On the move: Vehicle is hit pulling out into flow of traffic
Fending off fender benders
Stay alert and keep your eyes on the road
- Missing one to two hours of sleep doubles your risk of collision. (4)
- Taking your eyes off the road more than 2 seconds increases the risk of collision by at least 2 times. (5)
- 87% of rear-end collisions occur because the driver wasn't paying attention. (6)
Minimize distractions with technology
Hands-free calling, backup cameras with dashboard display and crash-avoidance technologies can help reduce fender benders.
Making progress with distracted driving
- 47 states and the District of Columbia now ban text messaging for all drivers. (7)
- In the fall of 2017, Apple debuted for iPhone the "Do Not Disturb While Driving" mode, which automatically silences incoming alerts and notifications when you're moving. (8)
Accidents happen, but taking the right precautions can make them less likely. Stating alert, keeping your eyes on the road and taking advantage of new technologies can help you be a safer driver while potentially saving you money on your auto insurance.
- Waterdown Collision, Most Common Car Collision Damages, 2017.
- 2015 Traffic Safety Facts FARS/GES Annual Report, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2017.
- Auto Body Repair Costs 2017 Guide, Impact Auto Body, 2017.
- Missing 1-2 Hours of Sleep Doubles Crash Risk, AAA, 2016.
- Distracted Drivers Are Lethal: Texting and Driving, I Drive Safely by driving, 2018.
- The Use of Forward Collision Avoidance Systems to Prevent and Mitigate Rear-end Crashes, National Transportation Safety Board, 2015.
- Distracted Driving Laws by State, Governors Highway Safety Association, 2017.
- iOS 11: How the New Maps App and Do Not Disturb While Driving Work, Macworld, 2017.
The inclusion of non-Amica companies, products, services or statements herein ("Third Party Content") is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by Amica Insurance. Policies, views, opinions, or positions of Third Party Content expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the policies, views, opinions, or positions of Amica Insurance. Amica Insurance makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy and reliability of Third Party Content.